Here are a few abbreviations you might find throughout this website:
LOR – Letter of request. This would be the letter you send to a celebrity requesting an autographed photo.
SASE – Self-addressed stamped envelope. Always include a self-addressed stamped envelope along with your request. The celebrity is nice enough to respond to your autograph request, we shouldn’t assume they will pay for the postage.
TTM – Through the mail.
Pre-print – A pre-print is a copy. The celebrity signs the original photo and thousands of copies are made from that photo and sent out.
Authentic – The celebrity takes the time to autograph the photo and sometimes will personalize the photo for the fan.
Autopen – A machine is used to make an exact copy of the celebrities signature.
How to send your fan mail and autograph requests:
If you want to request an autograph, follow the guidelines below:
- Obtain their address: Search the internet for an official fan site. Most of the time you can find their preferred fan mail address there under contact information. Personally, I haven’t had much luck with email responses as anyone can create a fake account. I prefer to find a fan mail address and mail my letter via snail mail.
- Write a letter: Remember be kind and respectful as you are asking them for a favor. They get thousands of letters… make yours different. Stand out.
- Put everything together: Have the address handy. I use two 9 x 12 envelopes and put 3 stamps on each.
- Sending envelope
- SASE envelope folded into the “sending envelope”
- Letter placed in the “sending envelope”
- Optional: If you have something you want them to sign… CD cover, magazine, photo and so on.. place in the “sending envelope”
** If you add something heavy to be autographed, take the envelope to the post office to ensure you have the appropriate amount of postage**
- Wait: The hardest part is the waiting. Be patient. On average is takes between 3 – 6 months to get a response.
TicketMaster.com – you can find where and when an artist is going to be playing. You can get the venue address and send a request prior to the date they are performing.
Playbill.com – find out what is happening on Broadway and other events.
fanmail.biz – locate celebrity addresses as well as read about previous successes.
http://www.mikethefanboy.com – he has some great information if you are researching venue addresses as well as contests to win prizes and so much more… you must check out his website if you are going to start collecting.
http://www.supremeautographs.blogspot.com – Cliff has a great collection of autographs and shares information on how he has obtained them via email or through the mail.